School is almost out for the summer and it's time to start thinking about Teacher Appreciation gifts. Custom gift baskets are available and will make the perfect gift for the educator who has taught your child so much this year. Filled with all local products, call us 845.489.3187 to preorder a basket or stop by the store to build one! We will be open Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday!
The best thing about seasonality and having farm fresh foods is that every week we will have different produce and local farm to table products that you and your family can enjoy!
Each week, you will find that we will feature several of the different local produce and other products that will be available in our market. The information can be found both here on our blog and also on our Facebook page- Locust Hill Market.
We opened our market with the goal of providing our customers with fresh, local produce and other farm to table products that were grown or made in the Hudson Valley area. What we do not grow ourselves in our garden is grown or made by our local friends and fellow farmers, often in the Millbrook area or close by.
It's that time for us-calving season! We have had 4 calves born so far this year with a bunch more due to arrive any day now! It is our favorite time of year, and we love seeing the babies bounce around and play with each other!
We are busy at work getting the market set up for our opening. 2017 will be a very exciting year for Locust Hill Market as we will be opening our new market store! It is in the final stages of completion and we cannot wait for you to see it! With the new store front, we will be able to offer you a larger variety of local and fresh products from the Millbrook and Hudson Valley area. In additional to our farm raised produce and plants, we will be carrying Hoofprint Cheese Company goat cheese and raw milk, JSK Cattle Company beef and Soukup Farms Maple Syrup. All three farms have similar ideals to us and we look forward to partnering with them! We will have other exciting new additions too, so look for more information as we get closer to opening!
With our new market store, opening day is scheduled for May 6th and 7th with our Grand Opening Celebration planned for Memorial Day Weekend! Mark your calendars and plan to stop by!
We look forward to bringing you all of our farm fresh, family raised produce!
While summertime is perfect for grilled vegetables, winter is the perfect time for roasting them! Especially in the Northeast, we have a wide variety of winter produce available this time of year that plays right into this delicious prepartion of veggies! On top of that, they are quick and easy to bake! Just add a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper and you are good to go! It's such a good way to incorporate all those winter vegetables into your diet!
I suggest mixing a wide variety of vegetables and roasting them together. It is a fairly forgiving dish, and really highlights the flavors of the vegetables you use. Often, we pair it as a simple side dish but the other night, we roasted cauliflower, broccoli, acorn squash, brussel sprouts and carrots and put them over rice and beans. Easy as can be and a delicious meal!
Happy New Year from all of us at Locust Hill Market! All too often, people make New Year's resolutions that they find difficult to keep. But this year, make it your resolution to eat more fresh and delicious foods from Locust Hill Market! We will be back mid-spring and offering a wide variety of fruits and vegetables fresh from our garden as well as local beef and Hoof Print Farm goat cheese!
Eating local has many perks, with benefits to your health, environment, and community. We put together what we think are the top 5 benefits to eating with Locust Hill Market.
1) You are supporting your local farm! Locust Hill Market is located at Spring Hill Farm in Millbrook, New York. By shopping at our farm market, you are supporting and allowing us to continue to do what we love - providing high quality, local food for our neighbors. You also are preserving open space, protecting our ecosystem, and allowing a place for wildlife to live.
2) The fruits and vegetables are fresh! From farms to grocery stores, food often travels thousands of miles to reach its destination. On average, food in the U.S. travels about 1,500 miles to get to your table. The time between when the fruit is picked and when it finally arrives in stores can be weeks! Our produce is picked daily from for our farm market, ensuring maximum freshness. The shorter the time between being harvested and being served at your table means a lesser chance of losing the nutrients that are found in produce.
3) You are eating in season! Our fruits and vegetables are picked at their peak, ensuring they taste their very best. By shopping and cooking in season, you are working in the cyclic nature of our region and adding variety to your diet. We wait until our produce is ripe before we pick it and do not use gasses or other artificial measures to ripen the produce at our stand. This leads us to reason number 4.
4) The produce taste better! By picking at peak of ripeness and bringing only fresh produce to our farm market, we are able to provide the tastiest food possible. The difference can be seen in the quality and taste of everything at our market!
5) And you know the farmers - Tom, Amanda, Henry, and Elias!