Happy New Year from all of us at Locust Hill Market! All too often, people make New Year's resolutions that they find difficult to keep. But this year, make it your resolution to eat more fresh and delicious foods from Locust Hill Market! We will be back mid-spring and offering a wide variety of fruits and vegetables fresh from our garden as well as local beef and Hoof Print Farm goat cheese!
Eating local has many perks, with benefits to your health, environment, and community. We put together what we think are the top 5 benefits to eating with Locust Hill Market.
1) You are supporting your local farm! Locust Hill Market is located at Spring Hill Farm in Millbrook, New York. By shopping at our farm market, you are supporting and allowing us to continue to do what we love - providing high quality, local food for our neighbors. You also are preserving open space, protecting our ecosystem, and allowing a place for wildlife to live.
2) The fruits and vegetables are fresh! From farms to grocery stores, food often travels thousands of miles to reach its destination. On average, food in the U.S. travels about 1,500 miles to get to your table. The time between when the fruit is picked and when it finally arrives in stores can be weeks! Our produce is picked daily from for our farm market, ensuring maximum freshness. The shorter the time between being harvested and being served at your table means a lesser chance of losing the nutrients that are found in produce.
3) You are eating in season! Our fruits and vegetables are picked at their peak, ensuring they taste their very best. By shopping and cooking in season, you are working in the cyclic nature of our region and adding variety to your diet. We wait until our produce is ripe before we pick it and do not use gasses or other artificial measures to ripen the produce at our stand. This leads us to reason number 4.
4) The produce taste better! By picking at peak of ripeness and bringing only fresh produce to our farm market, we are able to provide the tastiest food possible. The difference can be seen in the quality and taste of everything at our market!
5) And you know the farmers - Tom, Amanda, Henry, and Elias!